The Sablon Antique Market
The Sablon Antique Market it combines the fascination for
a trip through the ages with a typical Brussels
lifestyle. Its international reputation has not
spoiled its charm.
The meeting point not to be
missed by antique lovers.
Saturdays – from 9 to 18 o’clock
Sundays – from 9 to 14 o’clock
100 antique dealers welcome you and share with
you their pleasure of discovering.
Marché des Antiquaires du Sablon –
Under the patronage of the City of Brussels
Place du Grand Sablon - Grote Zavel
ABOUT THE SABLON ANTIQUE MARKET
1958 – Mr. George Van de Weghe,
an antique dealer established near the Place du
Sablon, asks to the Sablon Church’s priest
to be allowed to display his engravings at the
end of the mass every Sunday morning. The priest
suggests to bring together several antique dealers
and to create a market.
9 OCTOBER 1959 – After
several month talks with the City of Brussels,
the authorisation is eventually issued. The market
is allowed on probation every Sunday morning.
3 APRIL 1960 – Under a
radiant sun, seveteen courageous pioneers inaugurate
the first Sablon Antique Market. Organised by
the “Marché des Antiquaires”
association, it directly turns out a success.
10 DECEMBER 1960 – Exhibition
“arts and crafts” in the Innovation
department store, rue Neuve. The Sablon Antique
Market takes part to it under the thema “Craftsmen
from the past”.
15 OCTOBER 1961 – The
Sablon Antique Market inaugurates “The antique
dealers’ nine days”.
During nine days and two nights, President Verbruggen
encourages his troops made up by 36 courageous
merchants. The Ambassador of China discovers the
market on this occasion.
16 FEBRUARY 1964 – Kind
Baudouin inaugurates the “International
Week of Agriculture”. The Antique Market
participates with a very beautiful exhibition:
“ The farm through the ages”.
8 FEBRUARY 1969 – On a
visit to Brussels, the American Austronaut Frank
Borman discovers the antique market. A small “cosmonette”,
Nathalie Van de Weghe, the founder’s daughter,
welcomes him amongst other VIP’s.
3 DECEMBER 1971 – Mr.
André Van den Eynde succeeds Mr. Jean Verbruggen
at the head of the association. The market mourns
for his dead president.
6 OCTOBER 1984 – Mrs.
Isabelle Vandergeeten who has followed after Mr.
André Van den Eynde, inaugurates the 25th
anniversary of the market. The whole district
has become the antique dealers’ activity
10 OCTOBER 1997 – A new Board of
Administration is appointed. Mr. Robert Conti,
Vice-President, is elected as President, succeeding
Mrs. Isabelle Vandergeeten.
6 MAY 2000 – The antique
market celebrates its fortieth anniversary in
a magnificent way. On this occasion, Mayor François-Xavier
de Donné de Hamoir is elected Honorary
President of the association.
Place du Grand Sablon
At the beginning
of the 13th century, a large mashy and sandy area,
situated outside of the city wall, was used to
dry wool in the open air. The Pré aux Laines
(nowadays Rue aux Laines) is one of the first
milestones in the development of the future Sablon
Lady Baet Soetkens, spinner by profession, travels
from Antwerpen to Brussels in order to have her
statue of Mary repaired in the so-called Zavelpoel
area. This Statue of Mary with healing powers
and the Grand Serment des Albalétriers
chapel become the symbol of the Sablon.
In 1435, the Sablon Church is built on the site
of the chapel, in new gothic style.
In 1516, the first mail service is set up - in
the Sablon district - by the Tour and Taxis family.
On 5 June 1568, the Count of Egmont is decapited
on the Grand-Place. The Grand Serment des Arbalétriers
brings his remains to the Récollets covent.
In 1661, a fountain is erected on the Place du
Sablon. In 1751, it is replaced by J.Bergé’s
fountain dedicated to Minerve, still on the square
From 1800 to 1813, the well-known J.Bergé’s
porcelain factory is based at nr 2. rue Ernest
Allard. It employs ten workers and five painters.
Numerous markets have clustered on the Place
du Grand Sablon over the years: a horse market,
followed by a hay market (which gave its name
to the “rue de la Paille”), a textile
as well as a vegetable market.
However, the square reached its real dimension
with the creation of the antique market in 1960
and since that time, it has served as an artistic
and cultural center and has been a meeting point
not to be missed by antique lovers.